December 1, 2010

ART NEWS: Andy Levin's Coney Island

I have a small obsession with typing random search terms into Google Images. It's a crap shoot but sometimes if you follow the bread crumb trail long enough you come up with something good. Such is the case with photographer Andy Levin's work on Coney Island.

The first time I visited Coney Island was with my family when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old. All I remember is that it was crazy busy and took a really long time to get there from New Jersey. Beyond that it's kind of a blur.

When I moved to Brooklyn, I started heading down to Coney Island more frequently. It reminded me alot of Asbury Park. Coney Island and Asbury Park have mirrored each other for many years. Both have combated decline in business, urban decay and eminent domain. They even share Tillie! So I guess it was a natural progression for me to take a shine to the place.

Andy Levin began visiting Coney Island in 1977 while in his late twenties. In between assignments for Life, National Geographic, and Time Magazines, Levin would use Coney Island as a personal space to practice his craft and sharpen his skills. Deferring to the tamer side of Coney Island, Levin captured the lighthearted simple pleasures of a day at the beach. 

Levin's yet to be published book "F Train To Coney Island" chronicles his work from this period. A preview "dummy version" of the book is available for viewing on his website. The New York Times blog LENS also features a few more photos.

PHOTO CREDIT: All photos copyright Andy Levin. Images via andylevin.com and NYT LENS.

No comments:

Post a Comment