March 29, 2011

PHOTOS: BLACK & WHITE ON FILM & DIGITAL

Last month I enrolled in a B&W photography class at NYU's SCPS to brush up on my darkroom skills. The class ended up being cancelled before it even started due to low enrollment. The lone registrant? You guessed it me. So I got bumped into a digital B&W photography class. It's turned out to be very interesting. We've explored different methods of shooting in digital color and converting to black & white in post production as well as shooting black & white in camera via a monochrome picture profile.

I have to admit I was surprised by the quality of the digital black & white images both converted from camera or shot in monochrome. They do look great and I'm looking for to experimenting further. But to be honest, it seems much faster and easier to just shoot a black & white film stock that you are already familiar with. I will resist! Film for life!

The class has also forced me to shoot things I would normally have no interest in hence the bird pics above. What was really just an assignment to demonstrate shutter speed yielded some good photos. So which ones do you think were shot digitally?

No comments:

Post a Comment