August 4, 2009

I Met Her At The Burger King


















Somehow in all the shows I've been to over the years, I never got to see Rancid. I don't know how, but it just never happened.

A week or two ago I got to see them and, despite my well known hatred for Roseland Ballroom, it was an amazing show.

The 50 minute set left anyone worth a dime wishing for more, as Tim said "wish we could play all night, were just getting started." I don't know who packaged this tour but giving the closing hour and 40 minute set to Rise Against instead of Rancid is like having the Beatles open for Fountains of Wayne. I don't have anything against Rise Against, it was just a weird pairing - made even more evident by Rancid's house-lights-only stage versus Rise Against's arena-rock lighting and pyro cues. Weird.

Highlights for the night: "When we're in town, our friends come out, "Lars referring to the laundry list of east coast punk and hardcore veterans backstage (Sick Of It All, Agnostic Front, Lordz Of Brooklyn and fifty other bands) before playing "Black & Blue," Matt Freeman busting out the upright bass for "Civilian Ways," and fucking "St. Mary."

The absolute "I think I'm gonna pass out" moment of the night, came with a dedication from Tim to his brother, Jeff. In honor of Jeff's birthday and first trip to New York and for handing Tim his first Ramones record over twenty years ago, "So we're gonna play a Ramones song..."

There are any number of songs I would have thought Rancid would play "53rd & 3rd," "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker," or the obvious "Blitzkreig Bop." But never would I suspect, "Oh Oh I Love You So."

Amazing. I screamed every line at the top of my lungs to my favorite Ramone's song as everyone else around tried to figure out what song was being played or worse who the Ramones were.

Ridiculous. Complete with Beach Boys harmonies from Matt and Tim.

I don't know why it took so long for me to finally see Rancid, but it won't be long before I do again.

**I didn't take the pic above. Credit goes to Natasha Ryan.





Next update: a wrap up of Fourth of July & the Asbury Galleria exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment