August 6, 2009

John Hughes

Growing up, we never had cable in my house. My dad didn't want us watching MTV or something. Most of the movies I saw, were on WPIX 11's Sunday afternoon matinees on TV. And 9 times out of 10 they were screening a John Hughes movie.

I can't really describe John Hughe's influence on me. When I think about my childhood and happy times, I think about his films. I remember watching "Weird Science" after school at my best friend Brian's house, drinking Yoohoo and eating Doritos. I remember borrowing a taped VHS of "Summer Vacation" and "Uncle Buck" from my friend Chris for over a year. I remember seeing "Ferris Bueller" unedited for the first time at PAL day-camp. I remember my Dad ejecting the "Planes, Trains,& Automobiles" tape from the VCR after Steve Martin's "fuck" diatribe. I remember laughing uncontrollably at the "bat hunt" scene in "The Great Outdoors." I remember wanting to marry Molly Ringwald. The list goes on "National Lampoon's Vacation, European Vacation, Christmas Vacation," "Home Alone," "Curly Sue," and "Beethoven."

But most of all I remember "The Breakfast Club." John Hughes made "real" movies about teenagers. I saw my friends in that movie, I saw myself in that movie. To this day if I'm flipping through the channels and "The Breakfast Club" comes on, my day comes to a grinding halt. No matter what point in the movie, I have to watch it until the end.

A month or so ago, my girlfriend let me take over her Netflix. I added my top twenty 80's movies to her queue. More than half of them we're John Hughes movies. As I write this, her Netflix copy of "The Breakfast Club" sits on our coffee table.

John Hughes died today.

Some people rate successful filmmakers by the number of Oscars they've won or their "opening weekend box office." I'd be fine with my flick playing on sunday matinee TV, bringing someone's else's day to a grinding halt.

John Hughes - Filmography

No comments:

Post a Comment