March 10, 2011

PHOTOS: Kurt Vile At Generation Records 3/8/11

Generation Records was packed wall to wall on Tuesday night for Kurt Vile's acoustic instore appearance. I'd never heard of Kurt Vile before. And I'll be completely honest, when the first song started I wasn't sure if I could sit through the rest of the set. I know my tastes and can usually tell if I will enjoy something after about thirty seconds. But about midway through the show I started to really dig Kurt Vile. By the end of the show I was totally won over and had to get his latest record Smoke Ring For My Halo. And I'm glad I did.

I don't know how to adequately describe Vile's music, it's something like Bob Dylan meets Lou Reed meets Van Morrison's cover of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue," kinda. It is definitely mood music, you may need to be in a particular mood to enjoy it or be prepared to be put in a mood. Either way, it's fantastic. I know I say this about alot of stuff but it has been on endless repeat since I got it. So good.

Vile's appearance at Generation Records was part of a series of stripped down acoustic performances at independent record stores throughout NYC including Academy Records and Other Music.

Click any of the pics above to check out more pics from Kurt Vile at Generation Records or heading straight to the Flickr gallery.

Here's two selections from Kurt Vile's Smoke Ring For My Halo:

Baby's Arms
     


Runner Ups

     

UPDATE: I have bought the entire Kurt Vile catalog on iTunes. Guys a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment