June 3, 2010

NEWS: Finally, relief.


For the last year and a half to two years, I have felt like shit. All day, every day. My stomach never was at ease. I gained weight out of nowhere, I was endlessly exhausted.

My motivation and productivity had gone to shit. Probably due to the fact that my every breathing moment felt like the creature from Alien was trying to tear its' way out of my stomach.

Doctor visits seemed to go nowhere, "Everything looks fine. Well, now it seems I've found an answer.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me he was recently diagnosed with celiac disease or an intolerance of gluten, most commonly found in wheat. He suggested I try not eating any wheat products for a few days, so I did. And I felt better. Like alot better. Like better than I have in two years.

So yeah, I gots the celiac disease. Apparently, it affects about 1 in 100 people and is the number misdiagnosed condition today. The average time from onset of symptoms to diagnosis is TEN YEARS. People go from doctor to doctor with explanation after explanation for ten years. Essentially, you cannot eat any wheat containing foods ever again. That's bread, rolls, muffins, baked goods, pizza, pasta, certain salad dressings & sauces and worst of BEER & WHISKEY. Shit.

But in the end, it's not that bad and changing my diet to be gluten free is totally worth feeling normal again. It could be worse. There are more gluten free products available now than ever before, including a couple of beers and brownie mix. All of the stuff is super expensive and harder to find but either way, I'm excited to get back on track and back to work.

Funny thing is, the worse I felt the healthier I tried to eat. I adopted a whole wheat, high fiber diet to try and get my digestive system back on track. Turns out I was basically just poisoning myself on a daily basis. Awesome.

Anyway, if you are experiencing similar issues look into celiac disease. It could be the answer to your troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment